Sunday, March 4, 2012

Six and Three - I invent a drink

OK, I forgot to plan for this party and there are going to be 60 people there.

Punch, obviously.

I had a lot of partial bottles of rum - half a bottle of blackstrap, 3 or 4 oz of Wray & Nephew 151, a bunch of white rum.

Sixty people, sixty drinks at 6 oz a pour means I needed to make three gallons. 

My library of recipe books is still in storage since my move in April 2011, so after doing some google blog searches I decide to start with orange juice as the main fruit - its inexpensive.   The trouble with google is that you can find a ton of recipes, but are any of them good?  I wound up at Drinkhacker with his Zombie Punch (a Donn the Beachcomber variant), and I did a bunch of math about the ratios of sweet and sour (remember three parts strong, two parts sour, one part sweet?).  That didn't go anywhere.

I went to the store and looked at my juice choices - I thought of unsweetened cranberry - and decided to try tart Cherry.  I also went through my liquor cabinet and my drink fridge - I pulled out a couple of pints of homemade grenadine (cold process) and two bottles Millie's incredible passion fruit syrup.  I'm one of those people who puts a couple of ounces of 100 proof vodka into my syrups to make them shelf stable.

So I started with the base (OJ) and added the passion fruit and cherry. The passion fruit disappeared into the background and the tart cherry just wasn't that tart.  So, a bunch of lemon and lime juice - taste, mix, add, stir.  OK, but not a lot of body so I added the grenadine.  Good enough to have Oceana taste it.

Refrigerate it for a few hours, check the taste, add the booze.
  • 210 oz OJ
  • 32 oz Millie's Passion Fruit syrup
  • 32 oz Tart Cherry Juice (unsweetened)
  • 18 oz cold process grenadine
  • 25 oz lemon juice
  • 9 oz lime juice
  • 55 oz white rum (mostly Flor de Cana)
  • 17 oz dark rum (Sailor Jerry Spiced rum - mostly tastes like vanilla?)
  • 8 oz Cruzan Blackstrap
Result: an "A" list punch at 8% ABV - rich, slightly sweet, easy to drink. 

Under other circumstances I would have added a 1.75 of Flor de Cana to bring it up to 13% ABV, and I would have used a Jamaican dark rum - Coruba - instead of the Sailor Jerry. But I used what I had.

What did I learn?
First, OJ has a very weak taste in cocktails.  I knew that (but forgot)
Second, nothing is as tart as lemon & lime juice - I was on the right track when I initially thought 'cranberry'
Third, with three plus gallons of punch, don't bother with anything less that 8 oz of an ingredient.

The grenadine is a very dominant flavor and pairs right up with the cherry juice. Passion Fruit is a shy flower, hiding in the background.

Yes, I've invented drinks before. They weren't memorable.  And the name?  
Six kinds of fruit, and Three kinds of rum.


hollywood bistro said...

Lovely drink!

Coffee Mugs said...

Always looking for these kinds of great content and information over the internet. Really very appreciating. Keep it up Thanks

Post a Comment